Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Honoring God (and our spouse) with our body



“Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit (where the Spirit of the Lord takes up residence), who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own. You were bought at a price (you and your body are valuable to the Lord). Therefore, honor God with your bodies (by keeping it clean, pure, and empty so that there's only room for His Spirit).”
1 Corinthians 6:19-20

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God (in such a way that brings him glory and honor, imitating the image of Christ).”
1 Corinthians 10:31

“Husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church.” Ephesians 5:28-29 (The same can be said for wives to love their husbands as their own bodies.)

My personal motivations for honoring God and my husband with my body:

My body no longer belongs to me. My body was bought at a price by God. I have died to sin and am now alive in Christ as a slave to righteousness. I want to honor God with my body in everything I do. As the temple of his Holy Spirit, I want to keep it clean and pure and make sure it's healthy so that I can live a longer life for Him. I want to be around to accomplish His will for my life- parenting my future children and ministering to others. I don't want to cut my life short because of health problems that I could've controlled and prevented.
My body also now belongs to my husband. When we got married, we became one. I want to respect not only God, but also my husband with my body. I want to keep it fit, healthy and attractive to him. He's affected by how much I choose to eat and exercise. My appearance and being in shape definitely affects the area of intimacy in our relationship as well.
Lastly, my body affects the lives of my future children. I'm motivated by them and their well-being to have a healthy body during pregnancy. I also want to have the energy to take care of, play with and keep up with them as they grow up!

Other scriptures that inspire and motivate me to take care of my body with healthy eating and exercising, or that convict me of eating for the wrong reasons:

“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is my strength.” Psalm 73:26

“Be not among winebibbers nor among gluttonous eaters of meat. For the drunkard and glutton shall come to poverty, and drowsiness shall clothe them.” Proverbs 23:20-21

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled.” Matthew 5:6

Jesus said, ‘Those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again.” John 4:14

“My people have committed two sins against me: They have forsaken me, the Spring of Living Water, and have dug broken cisterns that cannot hold water.” Jeremiah 2:13

“Do not love the world or anything in it. Love of the world is hatred towards God.” 1 John 2:15

“Keep watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation, for the Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.” Matthew 26:41

Satisfy me in the morning with your unfailing love, Oh God.” Psalm 90:14

Apart from me, you can do nothing.” John 15:5
With God, all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26

“Love the Lord your God with all that you are.” Mark

“Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength? Why pay and labor for food that does not satisfy? Listen to me and eat what is good for you- the finest of food.” Isaiah 55:2

“Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life which the Son of Man will give you. On him, God the Father has placed his seal of approval.” John 6:27

No comments:

Post a Comment